Wednesday, September 27, 2006

See You at the Pole!

Today is the 4th Wednesday of September, which is also known as “See You at the Pole” day. “Be STILL and KNOW that I am GOD” is the theme for this year’s event. See You at the Pole is a student-initiated and student-led movement that means this is all about students meeting at their school flagpole to pray—for their school, friends teachers, government, and their nation. See You at the Pole™ is not a demonstration, political rally, nor a stand for or against anything. I encourage you to check out this link to find out more about how SYATP started and how it has grown into the movement that it is today. http://www.syatp.com/info/history/index.html

Hope and her friends (with the support of her youth group leaders) approached the principal of her school last week to request permission to gather for this morning. Even though she attends a public school, they do have a legal right to do this: “While there is no requirement to ask the administration or school board's permission to meet, it is wise and courteous to inform the administration about See You at the Pole™. According to Supreme Court precedent and their constitutional rights, students already have permission. SYATP is student-led, it is before school hours, and it is outside of any school building. It does not cost the district anything financially for students to meet to pray, so they aren’t “establishing religion” with tax money. Read the United States Department of Education's statement on Religious Expression in Public Schools.”

Tonight, Hope’s youth group will meet and celebrate and discuss today’s gathering. They are encouraged to bring someone that they met this morning to their meeting. When she gets home, I’ll ask her to write up her own musings about her morning and post it here for you to read. I was in such a rush to get to the Y this morning, I forgot about their meeting or I would have walked down and taken pictures of them. :( I am so proud of these kids! They are a great group.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

1 comment:

Nan said...

That's so neat Angel. I remember doing See You at The Pole every year waaaaaaaaaay back when. Glad she had a neat experience.