Sunday, September 04, 2022

After-School Conversation Starters

When my boys were little, whenever I asked about school, they always said “I don’t know” or “I don’t remember” or when I asked what they learned, they’d say “nothing.” 🙄 So I started asking more specific questions, similar to these (heck, I still ask Sam some of these questions or he wouldn’t tell me anything!) One thing that stands out to me from years ago: When TJ was in first grade, I asked him if anything happened at school that day that made him happy. Then I asked if anything happened that made him sad. That’s when he told me the lunchroom supervisor always made him sit at a table, facing the wall away from the other kids, by himself every day so he wouldn’t cause trouble. He never got the chance to cause trouble…because he was, preventatively, placed there daily. He said he didn’t even try to sit at the regular table because he knew the supervisor would tell him to go to the other table. Needless to say a visit to the school occurred and the situation was rectified. I know TJ was not an easy kid (try being his mom!) but nothing hurt my heart more than when this happened to him. I never would have known about it had I not asked that specific question. He though that’s just the way it had to be. 😞 I came across these questions on the internet today. I figured maybe some of you parents with younger kids who also give the same IDK or IDR answers could use them this school year. ❤️🌹

No comments: