As some of you already know, I work part time as a Home Health nurse. I actually love my job! I love the one-on-one time with my patients, I love the autonomy of the job, I love the people that I work with, I just love my job!I especially love that it's part-time. I consider myself a full -time mom, part-time nurse. Although, in actuality, being a nurse is who you are, not just a job that you can leave at the office and go home.
Something I have always struggled with and tried to maintain a balance with though, is my work life and my home life. On the days that I work, I try to make work my priority. And on the days I do not work, I try to leave work at the office and make my home life my priority. But often times, this isn't always possible. Many times, there are work related things that I just cannot complete on the day that I am working. Times like today, where I am spending my morning making follow up calls to pharmacies, supply companies and doctors. And sometimes, my home life infringes on my work; like when yesterday, Hope was sick and I had to keep her home from school...and I had to call off of work. :( In the last month, I have missed one of Hope's Saturday volleyball games because I was on call and the game was out of town, and I missed being able to go see my grandmother before she died because it was Christmas weekend and I was on call and could not find someone to cover for me.
I find myself sometimes struggling with the guilt that one or the other seems to cause me when issues like this come up. But then, when I look at my situation as a whole, I consider myself blessed. These moments are typically few and far between. And for the most part, both work, and my family are really very accommodating of the other. I have no idea how I would do it if I worked full time. So today, I am sending kudos out to all of those moms who do work full time! I don't know how you all do it, but you certainly deserve to be applauded! Give yourselves a pat on the back...and a big hug for all of the compromises that you have to make for your families. Hugs to you all!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Angel!!! We miss you on the "other" board!!
Doris/WA
Post a Comment