Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sick Babies


Sam is sick. He woke up after his nap last night with a horrible croupy cough. True to the nature of croup, the barking and stridor subsided after he had been up for a bit, but when he woke up again around midnight, the nasty cough had returned.

He is such a good, happy baby...even when he's sick. I pulled him into bed with me and nursed him and off to sleep he went again. Once settled down, only a very faint trace of the stridor could be heard. I gently carried him back to his crib and tucked him in. He slept peacefully again until around 6 this morning when I could hear his barking cough from downstairs. Again, I picked him up and carried him to bed with me to nurse....his breathing raspy and rattly. As he nursed and relaxed, the stridor eased once again.

I can remember 8-11 years ago sitting up many a night in a hot steamy bathroom hoping to alleviate the respiratory discomfort of my older two when they had developed croup. I don't know about you, but it never seemed to help much for us. So third time around, we decided to skip that hot miserable part.

Hope has been coughing recently as well, so I think it's safe to assume that Sam must have picked something up from her. We have been blessed with such a healthy year since Sam was born, I really can't complain too much. But the flu season is only beginning. I hope this isn't the sign of illnesses to come.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awe, poor Sam! I hate it when the babes are sick!
Good thing he's got a nurturing mama who will *nurse* him back to health in no time!

SXYMMA said...

Poor baby doll. I hope he feels better. Robitussen works like a freakin DREAM with David - have you tried that?

Angel said...

No, Sam..I haven't tried anything with him yet. Once he's up and about it stops. It's worse right after he wakes up. :(

Nan said...

Cooper's had croup twice. The first time he was pretty bad off so I took him to the ER. They gave him the steroid and it helped quite a bit.
We have always been told to bring them out into the cold crisp night air. When I did take Cooper to the ER we had to go outside of course and by the time we got to the check in counter he was happy as a clam and flirting with all of the nurses.
Nan

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Sam! Its awful when our little ones are sick. I am glad to hear that Sam is so good natured about the whole miserable process.

Roman has had many little bouts of sickness this year, but nothing serious thankfully. When we do get sickness in the house it seems to take forever to run its course.

Thanks for visiting my blog Angel. You are always so great about adding your input and I treasure it.

Have a great day! BTW I love your new song, very sweet!!