
I knew it was coming. It was bound to happen. My baby girl is growing up.
Tonight, was her first night at C.O.G. (Children of God), the junior high youth group. Now that she is going into 6th grade, she can join the church youth group. Youth Group on Wednesday nights was one of my favorite things to do. I remember having so much fun at our get-togethers!
I remember 6th grade vividly and being 11 and 12 years old. So many changes at that age for a young girl! I remember beginning to fight with my mom about what clothes I would and would not wear, how my hair would look, wanting to be able to wear make-up, being allowed to shave my legs. And of course, boys!
6th Grade was when I remember REALLY begininning to be interested in boys. Being afraid to talk to the one who sat in front of me in homeroom, because he was cute and I had a crush on him.
I also remember it being the beginning of the typical girl-cliques. I remember being left out and excluded on more than one occasion. I remember my parents being extremely strict about who I could and could not hang out with....and where.
But I also remember being given more independence. Being able to ride my bike across town alone and visit with friends. That was a really big deal! To date, I barely let Hope go around the block. So much happens in the world today, so many dangers out there for young girls. I know I can't protect her from everything, but I try.
I realize, she's growing up. It's time to give her some freedom, time to let her experience some independence, time to let her begin to grow into the woman she will one day be. And hopefully, I've done my job and instilled in her enough self-confidence, self-esteem and common sense to make good choices...that she will grow to have a faith strong enough to carry her through whatever sorrows and setbacks that might come.
But most of all I hope she knows that her mamma is always going to be here for her when she needs me and will love her no matter what.
5 comments:
Oh wow, I am first to leave a comment....I love that! hehehe
I, too, remember that age. Geesh, where does the time go? I tell my boys that I remember being their age so many times, and they give me the "uh-huh" look. I still get questions from my 11 year old, did they have color tvs BACK THEN? Oh my, good times!
You are very lucky to have such a wonderful daughter to share so many memories with....enjoy!
Angel,
I just have to say I love reading your posts! It's the first thing I do online now. You write so well! Haley is only 8 but boy do I remember that age and Pioneer Girls (that was what my church had.) Brings back alot of good memories. :)
Theresa (AKA TheresaP) lol :P
Awe, I hope you are saving these and putting them in scrapbooks for your kids. They are really nice to read.
I remember 12 is when I got horny...uh oh, watch out!
Thanks, Trina...I'm a little excited that she's getting to this age as well as dreading it. I'm looking forward to some good times with her and sharing 'beauty' tips, lol! Her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and she's having a beauty bash at a local cosmetology school. I want to buy her some skin care stuff to get her started. She just told me she needs deodorant the other day :O
Theresa, thank you! That is a great compliment! I LOVED my youth group, I have SO many fond memories of our volleyball nights, rollerskating...locking Norman out of the church van (OK, I know that wasn't a very Christian thing to do, but his name was Norman...doesn't that say it all?)
Jenn, that's what I'm afraid of! 6th grade is when I totally remember being really interested in boys. In 7th and 8th grade, the dances start...I remember what some of those girls were doing at those dances. PLEASE GOD...let my girl be a good girl!!!!
I agree with Salena - she's got such a good role model, I'm sure she'll be fine. Not to say she won't make mistakes, but my prayer will be that her mistakes are minor and she learns from them - isn't that the best thing we can hope for?
Post a Comment