I called the vet's this morning to check on the status of Ember. According to my dates, her 10 day quarantine was up yesterday. I had specifically asked to not be notified *before* they put her down. I didn't want to spend the day watching clock and wondering what what was happening at that moment. So this afternoon, I worked up the courage to call out to the office and ask about her. They connected me with Trisha, one of the techs. Trisha told me they put Ember down late last night. I asked how she was up till then, and she said she had been doing fine, eating, sleeping, playing in the cage. I asked if she had shown any signs of rabies, and Trisha said 'well, it was still early for that...' I said I understood that it could still show up later, but I wanted to know if she had shown any signs at this point. Trisha said no, she hadn't as of last night.So my kitty is now gone. No more nights researching, trying to find a way out for her or a way around what happened. No more what-ifs. She was truly lucky to live as long as she did. She had been dumped at the vet's when she was 2 weeks old. The staff there nursed her along, saving her life. They all had a soft spot for Ember (they named her) and asked about her often. We adopted her when she was 6 months old after we lost our (2nd) lab puppy, Moses. We were able to give her a home where she could roam freely, and roam she did!
I know it sounds harsh, but she was really a useless cat, lol! She was very skittish, suspicious and not very trusting. It took her a good year before she would seek us out for attention, but even then, she never liked to be held, but she did love to have her neck and her ears rubbed. She wouldn't sit on your lap, but she'd come running when she knew you were in the bathroom so she could rub against your legs and have you rub her ears. She knew when you had a bowl of cereal and would pace in front of you, even jump up on the table or computer desk if you were eating there, and try to sneak a bite from your bowl! Poor Elijah, he sure tried his best to get her to play with him, but she would have none of that! She did enjoy teasing him though!
I keep walking past the kitchen and pantry windows and expect to see her silky black form sunning herself there, but the window is bare. I expect to find her laying on her back on the dining room floor, in all of her fat cat glory, but she's not.
I sit at the computer at night and hear noises in the other room and tell myself 'it's just Ember', but it's not, and then I wonder what the noises are? I am paranoid that there will be yet another bat down here and pity the next one that does show up; I no longer see them as the useful creatures God intended them to be, but as a deceiver who enticed my curious kitty to come closer, pulling her into harm's way. Her life was never the same after that day.
It's time to move forward. I know this, I understand this, and I am really OK with this. But it doesn't make it hurt any less right now, at this moment.
Rest in peace, Ember kitty. We will miss you!
6 comments:
You were a very kind heart to take in Ember and give her a wonderful life.
Ohhh Im so sorry Angel! These are one of the experiences in life you will never forget. She was a pretty little thing. Maybe you can get another kitty someday.
My heart aches for you. This was a beautiful passage written about her, though, and you can tell how much she meant to you and your family... even if she was useless. Besides that, I'm pretty sure that most cats ARE useless... but we love them like family none the less.
I hope the pain eases for you.
Awwwww, Angel, dang it! You've made cry again!!!!! Ember was soft and silky and shiny, because you took such good care of her! You gave that cat a good and loving life. For 5 years she pretty much did exactly what she pleased! And that's not a bad life for a cat.In return she gave you companionship, attention and in her own way love. I know she loved you, how could she not? You rescued her and she knew it. She will be waiting for you, along side Moses. Let her rest in peace. I love you!!!!
Thanks to all of you. I feel more comfortable with my decision now that it's done. I still find myself looking for her. I wonder when I'll stop doing that?
On a lighter note, I'll say this...I've noticed a lot less cat hair around her recently. ;)
I am sorry for your loss Angel. I'm sure Ember felt the love you had for her every day that she was with you!
Cat
Post a Comment